Thursday, April 5, 2012

Wilton Course 4 Review


Hello Cake Decorators!

I am very excited to say that I took the Wilton Course 4 class “Advanced Gum Paste Flowers” in February! I have been looking forward to taking it since I heard about it from the local Wilton instructor last summer.  I really do love the Wilton-method classes. Although they require a lot of supplies, and you will feel like you have purchased Wilton’s entire line of products, I feel that it is definitely worth it! Especially if you want to make a career out of baking and cake decorating! 

I have also taken a commercial baking course at the local community college, and I must say, although I value the skills I learned in that class, I like the Wilton method of cake decorating much better—even for simple cake designs. I feel that although commercial kitchens may be operating very efficiently, the “Wilton way” is just as good and has a little nicer, less commercial outcome. Also, the Wilton courses are much more extravagant than a commercial baking class, focusing only on cake decoration. I have loved learning about fondant, gum paste, and how to utilize these items along with various tools to create a fabulous looking cake. I really loved learning how to make gum paste flowers in Course 3 “Gum Paste & Fondant,” but I must say that learning the gerbera daisies (my favorite flower!) in course 4 was super fun and easy! I was also interested in learning about the flowers that have multiple wire petals, and just how to  assemble them. I must say, that I was pleasantly surprised with how easy the process is—although it is annoying to figure out how exactly you are going to stick the wire stems into a cake (you have to use some sort of something as wire is not edible). So I found the “Great Value” flexible straws to be the easiest for this since they are large and will accommodate the large amounts of wire. Good luck if you take this new course at your local craft store!

See the continuation of my review here.



No comments:

Post a Comment