Sunday, April 8, 2012

Birthday Scarves: Current & Past projects 2012


So recently I have been feeling like such an old lady. I have decided to crochet scarves for all of my friend’s upcoming birthdays. (So beware, if you befriend me, then expect a scarf for your birthday!) I feel like it has become easy enough for me to crochet a scarf in a decent amount of time. I also think that something handmade and personal makes a much better gift than store-bought and not so personal. So here’s the rundown on what I’m working on or have finished:


Krista (turning 22 on March 5): A yellow/green/brown/cream colored granny square scarf that has a scalloped edging around it. The primary color of the scarf is yellow. It’s nice and bright, but also kind of yogi/hippie-ish in its coloring. I feel this is appropriate for Krista because she was definitely born in the wrong decade! She is a 60s/70s girl at heart and would give anything to go to a Janis Joplin or The Doors concert.

Laura (turning 21 on March 10): She is also getting a similar style granny square scarf with scalloped edging, as is Krista. Laura’s is a bit dressier in its coloring and style, less fun and free-formed (if you could say that about a scarf!). The primary color of this scarf is navy blue, with coral and cream accents within each square (varying patterns of the colors). I thought these would be good colors for Laura because she just got an internship with the county’s prosecutor’s office, so she will be in a somewhat business-like environment. She also has a dress coat which is navy, so it will match perfectly!

Jess (turning 22 on April 11): Jess is my penpal from England, and I know she likes anything cute, handmade, and thoughtful. For her, I am making this lacey-type scarf that is a dark coral color. It is a single color, but the design in the scarf is pretty, fun, and elegant. I think she will really love this scarf because it isn’t your typical granny square, and it isn’t your typical crochet either.

Stephen (turning 20 on June 28): For Stephen I am making a zigzag scarf. I haven’t decided whether I want to use muted colors, that would be fabulous for fall, or if I want to go crazy and use his favorite colors which are turquoise/aqua and orange; along with accent colors like cream, brown or black. I know that either way he will love it because it will be as unique as he is. I’m looking forward to this scarf a lot because Stephen is my crochet friend, and we can talk about patterns, current projects, our want for bamboo crochet hooks, and everything else that “normal” 20-somethings wouldn’t necessarily be discussing while chatting over coffee. I’m also excited because I have never attempted to make a zigzag pattern, but he assures me it isn’t too hard since he is making a blanket using a similar pattern.

Photos to come once each project is completed! Happy Crocheting & Happy Birthdays!

No comments:

Post a Comment