Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Baking: Swirl Effect with Frosting




Hello there! And welcome back to The Crocheted Cupcake. Today I’d like to tell you about the fabulous cupcakes I just made. They were supposed to be marble cake, but that obviously didn’t work out. I used some boxed cake mix (because I rarely use cake mix made from scratch—why reinvent the wheel??) and decided that cupcakes were a bit more personal than a whole cake. And they’re easier to eat! I did what I thought was a marble effect, which turned out to not distribute all the way through to the middle of the cupcake, and baked away. After they were finished and cooled, I made two frostings: chocolate buttercream with almond flavor, and vanilla buttercream. The frosting is always my favorite part, so I always make sure that it is very yummy. Then, I used the trick where you very carefully place both frostings in an icing bag, with a large Wilton 1M tip in the end. By doing this, a very cool swirl effect is created. I am always impressed by this technique, and even though the marble failed, the tops looked picture-perfect! I then garnished the frosting with some edible pearls and pink sugar crystals for Valentine’s Day. Bon Appetit! 

Check out this link from Wilton on how to create a swirl effect on cupcakes, using 1M tip.
This link is great to see how to create multi-color swirls of frosting.



No comments:

Post a Comment